Sign in to follow this  
Matrix

Introducing toxic chemicals into your body is probably bad for you? Who would have thought!

Matrix    431

I will definitely be interested in a long term study on people with tattoos being done within the next 20 years

Frozen    743
10 hours ago, Homedawg said:

Tattoos have been around hundreds, if not thousands, of years. Idiot. 

Kinda ironic you make a statement like that, relevant to the topic, then call him an idiot. (even thuough it IS matrix ;) )

What is used in tattoos and the depth within the skin at which they are applied along with the method of application has changed, just a bit.

Certainly worth investigating and the article was pretty interesting BUT their sample size was four and the analysis they did on the lymph nodes is extremely limited as they seem to only have extracted and looked at 1 node from each subject. It basically acts as support for the principle that tattoo particles are transported and deposited but beyond that basic statement it doesn't say too much.

they also worked on corpses which raises a bunch of other problems as well

Edited by Frozen

Matrix    431
15 hours ago, Homedawg said:

Tattoos have been around hundreds, if not thousands, of years. Idiot. 

And it doesn't make them less of a health hazard. There haven't been any long term studies done on tattoo health effects yet, this one isn't even a long term one but signs show that tattoos are harmful to health. They're likely going to follow up on this with a 20-30 year study I would imagine. Just because a doctor couldn't tell you what gave you cancer doesn't mean it wasn't your tattoo even 50 years ago just saying guestdog...

Matrix    431
5 hours ago, Frozen said:

Kinda ironic you make a statement like that, relevant to the topic, then call him an idiot. (even thuough it IS matrix ;) )

What is used in tattoos and the depth within the skin at which they are applied along with the method of application has changed, just a bit.

Certainly worth investigating and the article was pretty interesting BUT their sample size was four and the analysis they did on the lymph nodes is extremely limited as they seem to only have extracted and looked at 1 node from each subject. It basically acts as support for the principle that tattoo particles are transported and deposited but beyond that basic statement it doesn't say too much.

they also worked on corpses which raises a bunch of other problems as well

Corpses might be a bit of a problem, but people have gone to get their lymph nodes checked years after getting tatted and if they open them up you can see the colour dye there from the tattoo, so I would imagine whatever is being put in your body would still stay in the nodes after death, at least for a little bit.

I'm not saying this paper is conclusive evidence that tattoos cause health issues, it was rather to start a discussion on the topic. But what I will say is what they've seen is definitely worthy of warranting a long term study on this, which is what we would need to make any conclusions about health effects

Frozen    743
12 minutes ago, Matrix said:

Corpses might be a bit of a problem, but people have gone to get their lymph nodes checked years after getting tatted and if they open them up you can see the colour dye there from the tattoo, so I would imagine whatever is being put in your body would still stay in the nodes after death, at least for a little bit.

I'm not saying this paper is conclusive evidence that tattoos cause health issues, it was rather to start a discussion on the topic. But what I will say is what they've seen is definitely worthy of warranting a long term study on this, which is what we would need to make any conclusions about health effects

As far as I know there aren't any patterns in chronic health issues with people heavily tattooed though. If people with tattoos were hitting the 30 year mark and a lot of them were developing similar, chronic issues, then maybe. Right now I dont know its massively important because there doesnt seem to be any actual problem to solve here. "chemicals, lymph nodes, build up, toxic" are all flashy danger words but end of the day there doesn't seem to be any correlation between tats and certain symptoms yet and tattoos have been around a very long time.